THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Poetry and Art

Tonight as I was sitting in my Art 100 class, the instructor asked "what is art?" And then she distinguished the question more by saying that because poetry, fiction and music are all art forms as well, her question was more specifically "what is visual art?" The mention of poetry made me start questioning this thought of calling my own poetry "art". Am I laying words to paper for the purpose of creating an art form? Do I intend for my poetry to be compiled for future generations of college students such as myself to be studying and breaking apart for want of style, form, and content? I am not sure I can imagine that. Sometimes when I write, it is kind of like being drunk, the hand moves, the words come out of the pen - but I don't remember any of it, I don't know where it came from but I know the poem is mine because it has my signature on it. So if I can't label my poetry as "art", does that make it less so? I wonder if Sylvia Plath ever had these thoughts??

No comments: